- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
- Israel’s ambassador praises Obama, slams Human Rights Watch report
- Md. parents accused of locking up autistic twin sons
- Dancing Kim Jong-un video sparks North Korea fury
Study: Taste of beer makes people want to drink more
Question of the Day
Researchers at the Indiana University School of Medicine have found that simply the taste of beer can influence someone to drink more.
The study reveals that the taste of beer leads the brain to release a hormone called dopamine, which controls the reward and pleasure centers of the brain, CBS News reports.
Researchers gave 49 men two separate scans, one when they tasted beer and one when they tasted Gatorade. They found that there were increased levels of dopamine when the men drank beer, even if they actually preferred the taste of the sports drink more. The study also found a significant increase in dopamine activity with participants who's families had a history of alcoholism, CBS Philly reports.
"We believe this is the first experiment in humans to show that the taste of an alcoholic drink alone, without any intoxicating effect from the alcohol, can elicit this dopamine activity in the brain's reward centers," Dr. David A. Kareken said in a press release.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brooklyn Bridge surrenders: White flags replace Old Glory atop icon
- Help! George Harrison memorial tree killed by beetles
- NAACP: Detroit water shutoffs are racially motivated
- Philadelphia mosque leaders try to sever hand of accused thief
- Michael Sam's jersey in top 10 of NFL sales
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- Obamacare dealt massive setback by federal appeals court
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq