- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Common sense’ means armed guards at schools
In an emotional plea, Francine Wheeler, the mother of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victim Ben Wheeler, asked for “common sense” at the president’s weekly White House address (“Conn. mom pleads for gun control at White House,” Web, April 13). But the actions Mrs. Wheeler was advocating and politicians’ emotional calls to “get assault weapons off the streets” would do nothing to prevent a repeat of the tragedy of Sandy Hook.
Is that “common sense”? No. Common sense means including records of severe mental problems in background checks and providing armed security for our children instead of feel-good “Gun-Free Zone” signs, which are an open invitation to mentally deranged people or criminals to prey on defenseless children.
According to officials, after Adam Lanza broke through the Sandy Hook door, school psychologist Mary Sherlach and Principal Dawn Hochsprung died while lunging at the gunman. If one of them had had a gun and was properly trained to use it, the tragedy may never have happened.
The children of President Obama go to school protected by armed security guards, as well they should. The Hollywood elite crowd, among the loudest voices demanding more gun laws, are protected by armed security personnel. As someone who has five great-grandchildren, I want them to have the protection that the children at Sandy Hook did not have.
STELLA L. JATRAS
Camp Hill, Pa.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal