- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Common sense’ means armed guards at schools
Question of the Day
In an emotional plea, Francine Wheeler, the mother of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victim Ben Wheeler, asked for “common sense” at the president’s weekly White House address (“Conn. mom pleads for gun control at White House,” Web, April 13). But the actions Mrs. Wheeler was advocating and politicians’ emotional calls to “get assault weapons off the streets” would do nothing to prevent a repeat of the tragedy of Sandy Hook.
Is that “common sense”? No. Common sense means including records of severe mental problems in background checks and providing armed security for our children instead of feel-good “Gun-Free Zone” signs, which are an open invitation to mentally deranged people or criminals to prey on defenseless children.
According to officials, after Adam Lanza broke through the Sandy Hook door, school psychologist Mary Sherlach and Principal Dawn Hochsprung died while lunging at the gunman. If one of them had had a gun and was properly trained to use it, the tragedy may never have happened.
The children of President Obama go to school protected by armed security guards, as well they should. The Hollywood elite crowd, among the loudest voices demanding more gun laws, are protected by armed security personnel. As someone who has five great-grandchildren, I want them to have the protection that the children at Sandy Hook did not have.
STELLA L. JATRAS
Camp Hill, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens