- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Common sense’ means armed guards at schools
In an emotional plea, Francine Wheeler, the mother of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victim Ben Wheeler, asked for “common sense” at the president’s weekly White House address (“Conn. mom pleads for gun control at White House,” Web, April 13). But the actions Mrs. Wheeler was advocating and politicians’ emotional calls to “get assault weapons off the streets” would do nothing to prevent a repeat of the tragedy of Sandy Hook.
Is that “common sense”? No. Common sense means including records of severe mental problems in background checks and providing armed security for our children instead of feel-good “Gun-Free Zone” signs, which are an open invitation to mentally deranged people or criminals to prey on defenseless children.
According to officials, after Adam Lanza broke through the Sandy Hook door, school psychologist Mary Sherlach and Principal Dawn Hochsprung died while lunging at the gunman. If one of them had had a gun and was properly trained to use it, the tragedy may never have happened.
The children of President Obama go to school protected by armed security guards, as well they should. The Hollywood elite crowd, among the loudest voices demanding more gun laws, are protected by armed security personnel. As someone who has five great-grandchildren, I want them to have the protection that the children at Sandy Hook did not have.
STELLA L. JATRAS
Camp Hill, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers