- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Creator of ‘Selfies at Funerals’ blog retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Expect pressure-cooker ban
Question of the Day
So now we find out the deadly bomb that exploded during the Boston Marathon comprised explosives, ball bearings and nails packed into a common pressure cooker ("Boston bombs used nail-packed pressure cookers, officials say," Web, April 16). Since explosives are, for the most part, already illegal, they can't be the problem. What we can most likely expect from the geniuses in Washington; Sacramento, Calif.; Albany, N.Y.; and elsewhere is to require background checks for anyone wishing to purchase nails or ball bearings, with strict limits on quantities.
The next step would be to ban the sale of all pressure cookers, especially the high-capacity types that certainly have the potential to kill more people. After all, no one has to cook a whole chicken at once.
La Habra, Calif.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert