- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas
- Rich Peverley collapses on Dallas Stars bench; game postponed
- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
KUHNER: Playing the Boston blame game on the right
But the record shows domestic terrorists lean left
My city has been attacked. On Monday, two powerful bombs went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Boston resembled Baghdad. Limbs and bodies lay everywhere. First responders and courageous citizens rushed in to help. Boylston Street was soaked in blood. The casualty toll is high and counting. Three were killed, including an 8-year-old boy. More than 170 have been injured, many of them crippled.
The bombings were a coordinated campaign. Its goal was simple: to target innocent civilians and maximize bloodshed. The terrorists seek to impose fear, hoping to paralyze a great American city. Bostonians are a tough, gritty people. We are determined to continue leading our normal lives. The perpetrators of this crime will not win. Our city will rise again.
In the midst of this horror, however, many liberals have sought to politicize and exploit this atrocity to advance their ideological agenda. President Obama initially refused to call the attack an act of terrorism which it obviously was. David Axelrod, the 2012 Obama presidential campaign's senior adviser, warned that the bombings probably had something to do with "Tax Day," the April 15 tax-filing deadline. Several MSNBC hosts, such as Chris Matthews, are also peddling this narrative. The implication is clear: The Tea Party or some fringe right-wing group is responsible. The author of an article in Salon.com even went so far as to argue that he hopes the bomber turns out to be a "white American." This is liberal bigotry masquerading as analysis.
There is not a scintilla of evidence that Tea Party types had anything to do with the attack none. Yet the left's goal is to paint advocates of low taxes and limited government as deranged kooks. This demonstrates how detached from reality and bigoted the Democratic left has become.
Since its inception in 2009, the Tea Party movement has embodied nonviolence. Their meetings are marked by peaceful dissent and protest. In fact, they often leave the sites of their rallies cleaner and tidier than before they arrived. To equate law-abiding citizens protesting Obamacare with jihadists is morally repulsive a deliberate demonization of an entire group of people.
The only known act of domestic right-wing terrorism was the Oklahoma City bombing on April 19, 1995 18 years ago Friday committed by Timothy McVeigh. Rather, the record reveals the opposite: Leftists have perpetrated most terrorist atrocities in America. The Weather Underground, the Black Panthers, the Symbionese Liberation Army and the Unabomber all of them were some kind of radical socialists, who committed heinous crimes on U.S. soil. This includes known Obama associates, such as Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn. They participated in bombings that targeted the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and a police headquarters. For liberals to be accusing the right of political violence is akin to Osama bin Laden denouncing Christians for engaging in mass murder.
The evidence points in a different direction, and it explains why Mr. Obama's palace guard the press corps is nervous. This may be one scandal they are unable to cover up. Law enforcement officials admit the terrorists used makeshift pressure-cooker bombs, which contained ball bearings and nails to cause maximum casualties. They are eerily similar to the roadside devices used by jihadists in Iraq and Afghanistan. Last year, al Qaeda's website, Inspire, called on mujahideen fighters to hit "soft targets" in America, especially sporting events, using crude improvised explosive devices (IEDs). Finally, the FBI now says there are two "persons of interest" they want to interrogate. Their pictures have been published in several media outlets. You guessed it: The men look to be of Middle Eastern origin the "dark-skinned" males that CNN reporter John King so uncomfortably and reluctantly wanted to identify.
The reason is obvious: If and I stress, if the attack was jihadist-inspired, then Mr. Obama's presidency will implode. It will unmask the incompetence and narcissism at the heart of his administration. His credibility will be destroyed. It will irrefutably negate the central premise of his re-election campaign namely, that the bin Laden killing signaled the end of the war on terrorism. Mr. Obama has claimed that al Qaeda is "receding." This is why the administration and its media allies deliberately covered up the Benghazi, Libya, scandal. It revealed that, far from being defeated, Islamic terrorism is surging.
Boston, however, is not Benghazi; it is not some faraway place where Islamist violence is common. It is a major American city, the cradle of the American Revolution. If jihadists were able to strike here, then it will represent a major failure of security. Mr. Obama will be responsible.
Islamists have attacked us repeatedly since his election in 2008 the underwear bomber, the Fort Hood shooter and Benghazi. Yet, the marathon massacre dwarfs them all in its carnage and national psychological impact. Mr. Obama's policies of appeasement and global Islamic outreach will be fatally exposed as naive, reckless and self-defeating. His presidency is hanging in the balance.
Jeffrey T. Kuhner is a radio commentator in Boston.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Man with stolen passport on missing jet is asylum seeker
- Al Qaeda to launch English-language Web magazine 'Resurgence'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same