- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Family reunification’ would break bank
There has been talk of the importance of “family reunification” in the proposed comprehensive immigration-reform bill. Under the proposed legislation, the 11 million illegal immigrants now here would be allowed to bring their family members into the United States (“The immigration gang,” Comment & Analysis, April 17). A conservative estimate of two to three family members for each illegal immigrant means 20 million to 30 million more people total could come to the United States.
All of these additional family members would be accessing the government health care plan, known as Obamacare, just like the rest of us. This will drive up health care costs because most of these family members will be low-income and will require government-subsidized health care. Millions of these family members will be school-age children who require education in our public schools. This will require the building of innumerable new schools at the expense of local property owners.
Furthermore, these millions of family members will be in competition with millions of already unemployed U.S. citizens desperate for work. Some will get jobs that millions of unemployed U.S. citizen need, or, despite the bill saying they won’t receive federal benefits for 10 years, they will go on welfare, further burdening taxpayers.
For the reasons listed above, we simply cannot afford to reward illegal immigrants with bringing their family members to the United States.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable