- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Family reunification’ would break bank
There has been talk of the importance of “family reunification” in the proposed comprehensive immigration-reform bill. Under the proposed legislation, the 11 million illegal immigrants now here would be allowed to bring their family members into the United States (“The immigration gang,” Comment & Analysis, April 17). A conservative estimate of two to three family members for each illegal immigrant means 20 million to 30 million more people total could come to the United States.
All of these additional family members would be accessing the government health care plan, known as Obamacare, just like the rest of us. This will drive up health care costs because most of these family members will be low-income and will require government-subsidized health care. Millions of these family members will be school-age children who require education in our public schools. This will require the building of innumerable new schools at the expense of local property owners.
Furthermore, these millions of family members will be in competition with millions of already unemployed U.S. citizens desperate for work. Some will get jobs that millions of unemployed U.S. citizen need, or, despite the bill saying they won’t receive federal benefits for 10 years, they will go on welfare, further burdening taxpayers.
For the reasons listed above, we simply cannot afford to reward illegal immigrants with bringing their family members to the United States.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'