- The Washington Times - Friday, April 19, 2013

Police have finally bagged the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect Friday night.

In a dramatic end to the daylong manhunt, 19-year-old suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured alive after police zeroed in on his hideout inside a boat stored for the winter in a Watertown, Mass., backyard.

The younger Tsarnaev’s capture concluded a high-drama hunt that shuttered much of eastern Massachusetts as cops methodically conducted door-to-door sweeps.

SEE ALSO: Obama hails capture of bombing suspect

After nearly 24 hours, tactical units closed in.

Gov. Deval Patrick earlier in the day had warned residents of Boston and its neighboring communities to “stay indoors, with their doors locked,” trapping more than a million people in their homes. The governor also ordered all public transit shut down, including the subway. Taxis were ordered off the streets and all Amtrak service to Boston was halted.

Heavily armed FBI agents gather next door to 410 Norfolk Street in Cambridge, Mass., Friday, April 19, 2013. Two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing killed an MIT police officer, injured a transit officer in a firefight and threw explosive devices at police during a getaway attempt in a long night of violence that left one of them dead and another still at large Friday, authorities said as the manhunt intensified for a young man described as a dangerous terrorist. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
Heavily armed FBI agents gather next door to 410 Norfolk Street in ... more >

At a later news briefing, the governor said citizens should “get back out” into the community, but that they should be “vigil.”

SEE ALSO: ACLU worried about Boston bombing suspect’s Miranda rights

The second suspected bomber was identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26. Both brothers had been living in Cambridge, Mass. They were born in Kyrgyzstan and came to the United States “seven or eight years” ago, according to an uncle interviewed on CNN Friday.

The elder brother was killed early Friday morning after a wild police chase following the fatal shooting of Sean Collier, 26, the MIT campus police officer. Authorities said police discovered a homemade bomb strapped to Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s body after the shootout.

Authorities said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev escaped from the gunfight in a car, running over the body of his brother as he sped away. The authorities said they believe he may have been wounded in the gunfight.

Initially, the lockdown affected 300,000 people in Cambridge, Watertown, Newton, Brighton, Allston and Belmont, but by early Friday morning it had been expanded to include the entire city of Boston. Hundreds of federal, state and local law enforcement authorities conducted extensive searches in a number of areas. Another explosive device was found in Boston Friday morning and disabled.

A 20-square block of Watertown was cordoned off by an army of law enforcement authorities, who went door-to-door searching for the fugitive bomber.

Much of the search has been directed by the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is considered the nation’s front line on terrorism. There are 103 task forces nationwide, consisting of highly trained, locally based, committed investigators, analysts, linguists, SWAT experts, and other specialists from dozens of U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

The two suspected bombers began their desperate effort to flee the city after photos and a videotape were shown of them walking along the marathon route shortly before two bombs exploded, killing three people and injuring more than 180. The video showed them carrying heavy black backpacks and captured one of them dropping a bag at the site of the second explosion.

In their attempt to leave the area, police said they carjacked a Mercedes SUV and admitted to the driver they were the marathon bombers, adding that they also had killed a police officer in their bid for freedom. The driver was released unhurt.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev visited Sheremetyevo, Russia, last year and was out of the country for six months. Investigators are trying to determine if he received any terror training on that trip.

Story Continues →