- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Archaeologists discover ‘gate to Hell’ in Turkey
A "gate to Hell" has emerged, spewing lethal mephitic vapors from ruins in southwestern Turkey, Italian archaeologists have announced.
The site, known as Pluto's Gate, used to be celebrated as the portal to the underworld in Greco-Roman mythology and tradition, Fox News reports.
The "gate" is located in the ancient Phrygian city of Hierapolis, now called Pamukkale.
The team, led by Francesco D'Andria, professor of classic archaeology at the University of Salento, announced the discovery this month at a conference on Italian archaeology in Istanbul.
Founded around 190 B.C. by Eumenes II, King of Pergamum, Hierapolis was given over to Rome in 133 B.C., Fox News reports. It became a flourishing Roman city. During the 6th century AD, the city was obliterated by the Christians.
Mr. D'Andria and his team are now working on the digital reconstruction of the site.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Devon Wills becomes first female to sign with Major League Lacrosse team
- Reno hospital gunman shoots 4, kills himself
- Georgia student suspended for a year after hugging teacher
- Seattle car dealership must pay customers $420K after Seahawks shutout
- 'Go USA': U.S. Olympic fundraising mittens made in China
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- IRS pays tax cheats hundreds of millions of dollars
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Senators in rush to pass budget vow to undo cut to military retirement pay
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow