- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
N.Y. Democratic senator, city councilman busted by FBI in plot to rig mayoral race
Question of the Day
Several news agencies are reporting that the FBI arrested a Democrat state senator and a Republican New York City councilman Tuesday who are among a half-dozen people charged with trying to rig the 2013 mayoral race.
State Sen. Malcolm A. Smith and City Councilman Daniel J. Halloran were among among a handful of people facing charges, according to The New York Times. The New York Daily News reported that the men conspired to buy Mr. Smith a spot on the Republican ballot.
According to The Daily News Report: “Agents were also rounding up four suspects, including Bronx Republican Chairman Jay Savino and Queens GOP vice chairman Vincent Tabone. …
“Candidates need the backing of three of the five borough party leaders to get access to a coveted ballot line. Smith’s name was circulated as a potential candidate, but he never actually jumped into the race.
“Halloran, a Republican council member from Queens, is charged with acting as liaison in arranging the bribes, which were to be hidden in consultant contracts, sources said. At least some of the payments were made, they said.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Chris Christie faces flak on New Hampshire campaign foray
- Chris Christie sidesteps Bridgegate, again tops Republican presidential field
- Democrats may win at fundraising but still lose to GOP at polls
- Impeachment talks revving up Democratic base: DCCC
- Boehner says impeachment talk is Democratic fundraising ploy
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world