- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
N.Y. Democratic senator, city councilman busted by FBI in plot to rig mayoral race
Several news agencies are reporting that the FBI arrested a Democrat state senator and a Republican New York City councilman Tuesday who are among a half-dozen people charged with trying to rig the 2013 mayoral race.
State Sen. Malcolm A. Smith and City Councilman Daniel J. Halloran were among among a handful of people facing charges, according to The New York Times. The New York Daily News reported that the men conspired to buy Mr. Smith a spot on the Republican ballot.
According to The Daily News Report: “Agents were also rounding up four suspects, including Bronx Republican Chairman Jay Savino and Queens GOP vice chairman Vincent Tabone. …
“Candidates need the backing of three of the five borough party leaders to get access to a coveted ballot line. Smith’s name was circulated as a potential candidate, but he never actually jumped into the race.
“Halloran, a Republican council member from Queens, is charged with acting as liaison in arranging the bribes, which were to be hidden in consultant contracts, sources said. At least some of the payments were made, they said.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Americans for Prosperity ad attacks N.H. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen's Obamacare vote
- Senate races are close in Southern states, poll shows
- Sen. Rand Paul: Limited Washington experience isn't always bad
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014