- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Putin enemy’s death mysterious
Killing influential Russians overseas is nothing new for Russian leaders. It is almost like a tradition.
Leon Trotsky was killed in Mexico with an ice pick in 1940 on orders from Josef Stalin, long after he was no longer a threat to Stalin. Ex-KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko was killed in Great Britain in 2006 with radioactive polonium-210 laced in his tea, which is the current weapon of choice, and a nasty one at that, causing a painful and agonizing death. Litvinenko made enemies in high places in Russia after accusing Russian officials of plotting to assassinate political opponents.
Litvinenko’s friend, former Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky, was recently found dead in Great Britain, with the medical examiner ruling it “death by hanging.” The only question is, was it a genuine suicide, or murder made to look like suicide?
Since Berezovsky was friends with Litvinenko and bitter enemies with Russian President Vladimir Putin and highly critical of his policies, with Putin perceiving him as a political rival, his death has to be perceived as suspicious.Owing to multiple lawsuits and his own extravagance, Berezovsky was nearly penniless, in addition to being deeply depressed, so suicide is a possibility — though not a certainty for the former billionaire.
KENNETH L. ZIMMERMAN
Huntington Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
Get Breaking Alerts
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama should've seen Ukraine coming
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political correctness is enemy of free speech
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop wasting money on United Nations
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Certain issues belong to voters