- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Second Amendment ensures equality
Monday, Jan. 14, 2013, began ‘hell week’ for those of us who are patriots, love our country and think that our government should abide by a strict interpretation of our Constitution. The leftists in our government are beginning their attack on the Second Amendment — our right to keep and bear arms. The zealots on the left are ignoring our country’s history and traditions and want to remove guns from the people.
The following message will give you insight into the beliefs of the great President Ronald Reagan on the subject of guns, and the reason our Constitution insists we keep them: “The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great equalizer in another way, too. It ensures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed. When the British forgot that, they got a revolution. And, as a result, we Americans got a Constitution.”
Current events and the planned actions of President Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and others make it clear that the president and his gang of progressives and left-wing zealots are determined to override our Constitution and take the guns away from the American people. These usurpers want American guns gone so they can fully implement their plans to impose a socialist brand of moral relativism in an anything-goes society. One thing they know is mandatory to succeed: They must take guns away from the American people.
We the people must do everything in our legal power to prevent Mr. Obama’s planned power grab. Remember, we are the stewards of the greatest nation in the world as established by our 18th-century Founders. Thomas Jefferson said: “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.” We must have the courage to block the plans of America’s far-left zealots.
DONALD R. DODGE
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class