- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
Westboro Baptist Church to picket funeral of woman killed in Boston bombings
Within hours of the Boston Marathon bombings, the controversial Westboro Baptist Church took to Twitter to celebrate the carnage. Now, they're planning to protest the funerals of those killed.
"Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of those dead by Boston Bombs! GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER FAG MARRIAGE! #PraiseGod," the group tweeted at 5:20 p.m. Monday, two hours after news of the first explosion.
The group, based in Topeka, Kan., issued a press release Saturday, claiming the bombs were brought upon Boston by God because President Obama supports gay marriage
"He is chiefly to blame for bringing down the wrath of God on Boston, on Massachusetts and on USA," the release reads. "[Mr. Obama] vows that those responsible for the Boston Marathon Bombs would feel the full weight of justice. Hello, Mr. Pervert-in-chief! GOD SENT THE BOMBS!"
The release announced that Westboro members will protest the funeral of Krystle Campbell in Medford, Mass., on Monday.
The Washington Times reported Tuesday that Ms. Campbell's parents originally believed their daughter was alive in surgery after the explosions, only to learn hours later that her identity was mistaken with a friend's. Ms. Campbell was among the three who were killed.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Carnival Triumph passengers seeking $5,000 a month for life
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for 'outside' cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns' to pitch Obamacare
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Hard-fought congressional election in Florida is seen as a bellwether
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again