- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Bombing suspect an ‘enemy combatant,’ GOP lawmakers say
“They would much much prefer to question him without a lawyer around, and I say this with all due respect to all my fellow lawyers. I’m a lawyer, and we tend to mess things up rather than advance things.”
The former mayor said Mr. Tsarnaev potentially can be charged for crimes in three jurisdictions: Massachusetts for murder, federal court for terrorism and a military tribunal for committing a war act on the United States.
“The idea of worrying about prosecuting him, I won’t worry about that at all,” he said. He’ll be found guilty “in so many places.”
Mr. Giuliani added he hopes the administration will approach the issue, with a legal — not a political — mind.
“Meaning, I’d like to push everything in the direction of enemy combatant, if we can get there,” he said. “We’d be much better off.”
But the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union said it would be wrong for the federal government to classify Mr. Tsarnaev an enemy combatant.
“To hear members of Congress, the Senate, saying an American citizen who allegedly committed this crime … on American soil is not entitled to the constitutional protections is breathtaking,” Anthony Romero told “The Daily Rundown.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Sean Lengell covers Congress and national politics and can be reached at email@example.com.
- GOP tests Democrats on college loan issue
- Lawmakers outside intelligence loop get miffed about briefing structure in Congress
- John Boehner: Time is right to bring latest farm bill to House floor
- Supreme Court nears rulings on key voting rights cases
- John Boehner demands answers on NSA, phone records
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.