- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Capitals can clinch playoff spot by beating Jets on Tuesday
“There’s still three games in the season,” center Mike Ribeiro said. “Obviously [this is] a big game for both sides, and for us you beat them, you’re in. But you need to take that like, ‘OK, it’s not the end of the world,’ either.”
The Caps host the Ottawa Senators on Thursday and the Boston Bruins on Saturday to wrap up the regular season. They’re 1-3 against those teams this year.
“Every game is big, but you have to just go there and do what you do,” left wing Martin Erat said. “And if everybody’s going to do it, what we did last 10, 12 games, it’s going to be easy.”
The Caps have made hockey look easy lately, winning 9 of 10 to get to this point. Tuesday crystallizes the season, but there is a danger in making one game against the Jets the end-all, be-all.
“You do want to remind the guys that if we win this, we’re in. But we don’t want to say we have to win this,” defenseman Karl Alzner said. “We just want to continue playing the same way we have and just worrying about playing good hockey.”
Yet it’s Game 46 of the regular season, and a trip to the playoffs is incredibly close. The stakes don’t get much higher in this kind of situation, but the Caps have been playing meaningful games on the edge of contention for a while now.
“It’s been like that for at least a month now that if you don’t win those games, we’re probably out of the playoffs a long time ago,” Ribeiro said. “And we were able to stick together and play the right way, and able to put ourselves in position that we are for tomorrow’s game. You need to embrace those moments.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow