- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Gang of Eight’ truly ganglike
The Mexican government must be ecstatic with the Gang of Eight’s amnesty proposals (“Steve King: ‘Gang of Eight bill is aggressive and outrageous amnesty,’” Web, April 18). Mexico can now permanently shift the cost of social welfare, medical and educational benefits, as well as incarceration costs, from the Mexican taxpayer to the American taxpayer.
We used to be a nation of laws passed to benefit the American people. The Gang of Eight wants to pass a law to buy future votes to satisfy political agendas at the expense of our sovereignty and territorial integrity and to the detriment of the American people. The Gang of Eight is the modern-day version of the Dalton and James gangs. The difference is the Gang of Eight ravages our sovereignty and territorial integrity.
President Lincoln’s phrase “of the people, for the people, and by the people” has now become “of the politicians, for the votes, and by the politicians” the American people notwithstanding, apparently.
JOSEPH R. FARRELL
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- North Korean dictator stuns world with uncle's execution
- CHELLANEY: China's game of chicken
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death