- The Washington Times - Monday, April 22, 2013

More than half of the inmates at Guantanamo Bay have joined in a hunger strike, military spokesmen said. By number, that means 84 of 166 are now refusing food, The Guardian reported.

That’s about twice as many as military officials reported on previous occasions.

The food strike focuses on prison conditions. Inmates say they are being imprisoned without being told how long they’re to stay. And last month, some complained — and joined the hunger strike — about the drinking water supplies. Inmates said they wanted water bottles, rather than tap water.

Sixteen of the 84 on hunger strike are being force-fed, The Guardian reported. Military spokesmen said none of them are facing life-threatening conditions from their hunger strikes.

But attorneys for the inmates say some are near death, The Guardian said.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide