- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
Maureen Dowd to Obama: Learn ‘how to govern’
Left-leaning New York Times‘ columnist Maureen Dowd has jumped ideological camp and ripped into President Obama, calling him out for what she characterizes as leadership failures in the gun control debate.
The president “still has not learned how to govern,” she said, in a Sunday piece reported by Politico.
He could have taken control and led the Senate to pass expanded background checks for gun buyers, given the number of polls that showed the majority of Americans favored this policy reform, she said. But he failed: He didn’t know how to work the political system. What’s more, she said, “he doesn’t want to learn, or to even hire some clever people who can tell him how to do it or do it for him,” Politico reported
Ms. Dowd said Mr. Obama is good at some things — like giving speeches that inspire. But his walk often does not follow his talk, she said.
“The president said the Newtown families deserved a vote. But he was setting his sights too low. They deserved a law,” she said, Politico reported.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arlington National Cemetery short on graveside wreaths
- Wendy's worker mistakenly serves burger with marijuana joint
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal 'closer' than ever
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Sen. Rand Paul: Long-term unemployment benefits are disservice to workers
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!