- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on kissing boy,
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Creator of ‘Selfies at Funerals’ blog retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama’s Thatcher snub duly noted
Question of the Day
I appreciated the editorial about the slight demonstrated by the White House in the Obama administration’s failure to attend former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral (“Slighting the Iron Lady,” April 19). The administration displayed poor form and decorum when they did not send a ranking, actively employed agent of the United States to the service. The leading dignitaries who did attend are retired.
That is not to diminish their positions; they are well-respected abroad. But protocol was not followed. Irrespective of what certain individuals might think of Mrs. Thatcher, she was still the prime minister of England for more than a decade. Unfortunately for this administration, in their view there was nothing to be gained by sending an “official” official.
One wonders whether former Vice President Dick Cheney or former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger would have attended the funeral of a left-leaning prime minister both worked with when they were “officials.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone