- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama’s Thatcher snub duly noted
I appreciated the editorial about the slight demonstrated by the White House in the Obama administration’s failure to attend former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral (“Slighting the Iron Lady,” April 19). The administration displayed poor form and decorum when they did not send a ranking, actively employed agent of the United States to the service. The leading dignitaries who did attend are retired.
That is not to diminish their positions; they are well-respected abroad. But protocol was not followed. Irrespective of what certain individuals might think of Mrs. Thatcher, she was still the prime minister of England for more than a decade. Unfortunately for this administration, in their view there was nothing to be gained by sending an “official” official.
One wonders whether former Vice President Dick Cheney or former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger would have attended the funeral of a left-leaning prime minister both worked with when they were “officials.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same