- Atheists win prayer battle against California city council
- Americans for Prosperity ad attacks N.H. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen’s Obamacare vote
- Senate races are close in Southern states, poll shows
- Texas A&M kicks off FAA-backed drone tests for business ventures
- Bad loser: ‘Call of Duty’ gamer calls in SWAT team on teen who won
- Sen. Rand Paul: Limited Washington experience isn’t always bad
- Ben Sasse scores Sen. Ted Cruz’s endorsement for Nebraska Senate primary
- Beer-flavored lollipops make debut: ‘An All-American slam-dunk’
- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama’s Thatcher snub duly noted
I appreciated the editorial about the slight demonstrated by the White House in the Obama administration’s failure to attend former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral (“Slighting the Iron Lady,” April 19). The administration displayed poor form and decorum when they did not send a ranking, actively employed agent of the United States to the service. The leading dignitaries who did attend are retired.
That is not to diminish their positions; they are well-respected abroad. But protocol was not followed. Irrespective of what certain individuals might think of Mrs. Thatcher, she was still the prime minister of England for more than a decade. Unfortunately for this administration, in their view there was nothing to be gained by sending an “official” official.
One wonders whether former Vice President Dick Cheney or former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger would have attended the funeral of a left-leaning prime minister both worked with when they were “officials.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
- EDITORIAL: Court strikes blow for campus colorblindness on affirmative action