- Signs of life beyond Earth could be found within 10 years
- Selfies gone too far? N.Y. woman snaps photo in front of suicidal man on bridge
- Rob Ford gets D.C. sports radio gig: Toronto’s crack-smoking mayor will make NFL picks
- Israel mulls gift of West Bank land to Palestinians
- Stocks gain as investors weigh economic news
- Doctors say ‘profound’ new HIV treatment may prove the cure
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- NYPD head Ray Kelly wins big retirement perk — a $1.5M tax-paid team of bodyguards
- Pentagon weighing ‘second start’ for overexposed youth in social media
- Libraries to feds: Stop spying on us
Smokers cloud states’ rollout of ‘Obamacare’
Question of the Day
Even the American Cancer Society opposed jacked-up premiums for tobacco users. In a position statement, the organization said it has “always been anti-smoking, but never anti-smoker,” and higher premiums could thwart smokers from quitting or obtaining insurance.
One of the selling points of the surcharge was that it might compel people to kick the habit. But that claim is in doubt, since nicotine’s grip is a strong one.
“We know it’s hard for people to quit smoking,” Ms. Lynch said. “It says on the label, ‘This product will kill you,’ but people do it anyway.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Almost 1.5 million deemed eligible for Medicaid in October alone: Obama administration
- Federal judge set to decide Obamacare battle over subsidies
- Diagnosis: Health site better, but needs work
- Lawmakers on both sides doubt Obamacare website troubles over
- Latest Obamacare delay: Obama administration puts off Web enrollment for small businesses
Latest Blog Entries
- Young, uninsured adults vital to Obamacare are not keen on enrolling: New Harvard poll
- Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox will promote Obamacare at Mall of America
- HealthCare.gov employs a new look once again
- Rep. Gwen Moore: Supreme Court needs to 'rule on the side of women'
- DNC offers holiday guide to handling your 'Republican uncle'
By Tom Harris and Madhav Khandekar
Bad science puts rich nations on the hook for trillions in climate liabilities
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Doctors say profound new HIV treatment may prove the cure
- Issa: FBI impeding inquiry into IRS targeting of conservative groups
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Last call: State Dept. bought $180,000 in liquor before shutdown
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- EDITORIAL: Motor City meltdown
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Headlines from Associated Press and around the Internet
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.