- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Smokers cloud states’ rollout of ‘Obamacare’
Even the American Cancer Society opposed jacked-up premiums for tobacco users. In a position statement, the organization said it has “always been anti-smoking, but never anti-smoker,” and higher premiums could thwart smokers from quitting or obtaining insurance.
One of the selling points of the surcharge was that it might compel people to kick the habit. But that claim is in doubt, since nicotine’s grip is a strong one.
“We know it’s hard for people to quit smoking,” Ms. Lynch said. “It says on the label, ‘This product will kill you,’ but people do it anyway.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Sebelius not running for Senate, HHS confirms: Report
- Red fox makes a home for himself at the White House: Report
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- Sen. Joe Manchin keeps his options open for 2016
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.