- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
Jason Heyward put on DL after appendectomy
The team said late Monday that Heyward had surgery at Rose Medical Center in Denver.
Manager Fredi Gonzalez said before the opener of Tuesday’s day-night doubleheader against Colorado that there was no set timetable for Heyward’s return. The Braves recalled infielder Tyler Pastornicky from Triple A Gwinnett to fill Heyward’s roster spot.
“A couple of days ago when we were in Pittsburgh, he felt like he had some stomach fires going,” Gonzalez said, “and then it just kept getting more localized, moving to his right side.”
Team physician Dr. Joe Chandler examined Heyward, and tests revealed the problem with his appendix. Chandler accompanied Heyward to the hospital, with the Rockies medical staff helping smooth the admission process.
“Everything went well,” Gonzalez said. “Dr. Chandler was here and he did a terrific job. The doctors from the Rockies helped out and got him into the hospital here. They got him in and got him out (of surgery) in about 45 minutes.”
“He was in good spirits, beat up a little bit, as you can expect, from the surgery,” Gonzalez said. “He’s just drained.”
Left fielder Justin Upton has played right field in the past.
“Justin is doing a great job in left field and why would I want to move him back for 10-12 days? He’s getting used to that left-field position, so we’ll just leave him there,” Gonzalez said.
Gonzalez said Heyward may be discharged from the hospital as soon as Tuesday night but may remain in Denver for a day or two before flying back to Atlanta. Heyward won’t be going with the team when it leaves after Wednesday’s game for Detroit.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.