- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
HARPER: Correspondents’ dinner comforts the comfortable
The most-quoted line is “The newspaper comforts the afflicted, afflicts the comfortable.” That’s a standard I have applied throughout my career since journalism is one of the few crafts protected by an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
The White House Correspondents' Association may try to justify the dinner for its ability to raise money for scholarships, but isn’t it possible to get the $100,000 another way? Simply put, it’s time for the association to dump this dinner because it does send the wrong message to readers and viewers who rightly see the event as comforting the comfortable.
Representatives for the association were unavailable for comment.
•Christopher Harper is a professor at Temple University. He worked for more than 20 years at The Associated Press, Newsweek, ABC News and “20/20.” He can be contacted at email@example.com.
About the Author
Christopher Harper is a professor of journalism at Temple University. He worked for The Associated Press, Newsweek, ABC News and “20/20” for more than 20 years. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HARPER: No need for truth panels to police campaign speech
- HARPER: Media whoppers misrepresent the GOP
- HARPER: Despite lousy reviews, media give Hillary Clinton a pass
- HARPER: Film will tell the Gosnell abortion doctor murder story that media didn't
- HARPER: A little late, media step up on Obamacare's woes
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit