- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Zach Braff: Actor-director launches Kickstarter campaign for film
The levels of backing range from $10 for a continually updated production diary and a digital copy of the screenplay up to $10,000 for a role with a line of dialogue.
Some have derided Kickstarter as “panhandling.” Others disputed the “Veronica Mars” enthusiasm by noting the Warner Bros. series was a corporate-owned project. Contributors pay for particular rewards, but they don’t share in the profits. Kickstarter, which declined an interview request for this story, takes a 5 percent fee of collected funds. Processing fees of 3 percent to 5 percent go to Amazon Payments or other processors.
But finding financing for independent films, never a cakewalk, has been particularly difficult in recent years as studios have cut back on riskier projects. And after years of struggling in the Hollywood system to follow up “Garden State,” Mr. Braff is eager to return to the director’s chair.
“I love it more than anything,” he says. “Making ‘Garden State’ was the most fun experience of my life.”
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014