- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Zach Braff: Actor-director launches Kickstarter campaign for film
Question of the Day
The levels of backing range from $10 for a continually updated production diary and a digital copy of the screenplay up to $10,000 for a role with a line of dialogue.
Some have derided Kickstarter as “panhandling.” Others disputed the “Veronica Mars” enthusiasm by noting the Warner Bros. series was a corporate-owned project. Contributors pay for particular rewards, but they don’t share in the profits. Kickstarter, which declined an interview request for this story, takes a 5 percent fee of collected funds. Processing fees of 3 percent to 5 percent go to Amazon Payments or other processors.
But finding financing for independent films, never a cakewalk, has been particularly difficult in recent years as studios have cut back on riskier projects. And after years of struggling in the Hollywood system to follow up “Garden State,” Mr. Braff is eager to return to the director’s chair.
“I love it more than anything,” he says. “Making ‘Garden State’ was the most fun experience of my life.”
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors