- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Citizenship easier than gun ownership
The Washington Times reports the Obama administration “has approved 99.5 percent of [illegal alien] applications” (“99.5% of illegal immigrants get approval for legal status; high number raises concerns about fraud,” Web, April 22).
President Obama’s approval process is much less stringent than passing a National Instant Criminal Background Check System evaluation, which every law-abiding citizen must satisfy to exercise one of their natural, inherent and unalienable rights: the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.
Our Constitution obligates government to protect citizens’ rights, not grant citizenship to anyone who might be ineligible to exercise only part of a law-abiding citizen’s rights.
If applicants are not qualified to keep and bear arms, should they be allowed to vote or exercise any other right?
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- ICT trade mission to Azerbaijan successfully completed
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- JACOBS: Prepare for a fight on driverless vehicles
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- White House faces press revolt over access to Obama's South Africa flight