Continued from page 1

The commission’s investigation was initially triggered by complaints from Google’s rivals.

One of them, British comparison-shopping site Foundem, said that at first glance the proposed concessions “fall far short” of ensuring a level playing field in the search-results market.

“Instead of promising to end its abusive practices, Google’s proposal seems to offer a half-hearted attempt to dilute their anti-competitive effects, by labeling Google’s own services and throwing in some token links to competitors’ services alongside them,” the company said. The measures won’t “make a dent in Google’s ability to hijack the traffic and revenues of its rivals,” it added.

Google worked closely with the commission on the design of the concessions until formally submitting them earlier this month.

“We continue to work cooperatively with the European Commission,” Google spokesman Al Verney said Thursday.

Google’s Web search service has a market share of more than 90 percent in the EU, a bloc of more than 500 million people that makes up the world’s largest economy. In the U.S., competitors Bing and Yahoo have a share of about 30 percent of the search market.

Separately, major tech companies led by Microsoft Corp. this month also filed another EU antitrust complaint against Google, alleging the company uses the dominant position of its Android smartphone operating system to illegitimately promote its own array of Internet services.

Microsoft, which has been a leading player in the complaints against Google, has had its own protracted run-ins with the EU Commission. Microsoft, from Redmond, Wash., has paid 2.2 billion euros ($2.86 billion) in various fines since investigations began in 1998.