- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Ageless Allen coming up big in playoffs once again
It’s easy to see why.
Allen already has been a major factor in his first playoff appearance with the Miami Heat, who are one win from closing out their first-round series against the Milwaukee Bucks. He led the Heat with 23 points in Thursday’s 104-91 victory, setting the NBA’s career playoff record for 3-pointers in the process. He was their second-highest scorer in Game 1, when he had 20 points, and is averaging almost 17 despite playing less than 30 minutes a game.
“He’s a big boost for our team,” James said. “I knew what he was able to do against me in the past, and I knew that threat could add another dimension to our team that we haven’t had.”
Game 4 is Sunday afternoon at the Bradley Center.
Allen is one of the purest shooters in NBA history, and few teams knew that better than the Heat. No one has made more 3s against Miami than Allen, and he played a big role in the Heat’s epic playoff battles with the Boston Celtics. So it was natural that the Heat would want Allen when he was a free agent last summer.
A charter member of Boston’s “Big Three,” Allen would have to be part the supporting cast in Miami, which has its own Big Three in James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. His playing time would be cut by at least 10 minutes, and coach Erik Spoelstra made it clear during his recruitment that he’d be coming off the bench in his 17th season, a role some say hastened his departure from Boston.
“If it was easy, more veteran players would do it. More veteran players would sign up and sacrifice to be part of something special,” Spoelstra said Friday. “Most players of his resume are not willing to take on a lesser role and it’s a significantly different role than he’s accustomed to.”
“I said, `If that’s not something you can accept at this point, we understand,’” Spoelstra recalled. “He said, `I just want to have an opportunity to have an impact on the team and in the fourth quarter. That’s when I looked at him and said, `Ray, we still have pain from the fourth-quarter 3s you hit.’”
For all of the big names on their roster _ in addition to James, Wade and Bosh, the Heat have Chris Andersen, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller and Rashard Lewis _ the Heat are a tight-knit bunch. They’ve all put individual goals aside in pursuit of a championship, and that’s helped put everyone, from James to Norris Cole on somewhat equal footing.
“These guys, truly love each other,” Allen said. “There’s so much banter taking place and everybody’s a victim, whether it’s good or bad stuff. When we go play it translates. There’s no animosity, no ego. We can go out there and play the best basketball that we can.
“It’s been great,” he added. “In 17 years, it’s probably the one year that went by the quickest. I had so many fun moments from off-the-court things … to traveling on the road. It was incredible that it went so fast, and that’s a testament to how much fun I had personally.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.