- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
Suspended Eastern Conn. baseball coach retires
WILLIMANTIC, CONN. (AP) - Eastern Connecticut State University says longtime baseball coach Bill Holowaty has retired after being suspended for throwing equipment.
The Friday announcement said he leaves “a legacy of loyalty and commitment to student athletes.”
School officials had said he was suspended with pay for the rest of the season for throwing a helmet into the bleachers during a game and failing to comply with school directives and policies.
A letter school officials sent him Monday said they also were investigating allegations he cursed in public and used abusive language. The letter was first obtained by The Hartford Courant.
During Holowaty’s 45 seasons, Eastern won four NCAA Division III national championships.
He said Wednesday the situation was “very unfortunate” and “the press hasn’t seen the hundreds of thousands of things” he did well.
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again