- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge says feds can’t fine commercial user
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Gosnell attorney charges racism in closing arguments
Abortion provider Dr. Kermit Gosnell’s attorney lambasted the news coverage of the trial and “racist” prosecutors during a two-hour closing argument.
“We know why he was targeted,” John McMahon told the jury. “If you don’t see it, you are living in some sort of la-la land.”
Dr. Gosnell is on trial for murder and other charges in connection with an alleged “house of horrors” abortion clinic in a poor inner-city Philadelphia neighborhood.
Mr. McMahon called the case “the most extraordinary hype and exaggeration in the history of the criminal justice system.”
“I’m telling you, never in my career have I seen the presumption of innocence trampled on and stomped on as in this case,” the lawyer said, adding that it was “the most incredible rush to judgment that I have ever seen in the history of jurisprudence.”
Specifically naming Assistant District Attorney Joanne Pescatore, he derided the “elitist, racist prosecution” of the doctor.
According to the Washington Examiner, referring to critics of the clinic’s lower standards, Mr. McMahon said, “if everything was done right … then you wouldn’t have low-cost health care.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- U.N. warns of Muslim 'cleansing' in Central African Republic
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Nation's first center that provides abortions and birthing opens in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Tattoo artist draws outrage for inking his dog
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again