- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Madonna: Pop diva selling Leger painting at NYC auction
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) — Madonna is parting with an abstract French painting she's owned for more than 20 years to support educating girls in Afghanistan, Pakistan and other countries. It's expected to bring $5 million to $7 million.
Fernand Leger's "Three Women at the Red Table" will be offered May 7 at Sotheby's auction house. All proceeds will benefit the Ray of Light Foundation.
The pop diva says she wants "to trade something valuable for something invaluable" in countries in which female education is rare or nonexistent.
She purchased "Three Women" at Sotheby's in 1990.
Leger created the work in 1921 as part of a series depicting women with still-life compositions.
Other examples from the series are in the Dallas Museum of Art and the Beyeler Foundation in Switzerland.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow