- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Marion Barry recovering after overnight hospital stay
Former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry was recovering Wednesday from an overnight stay at the hospital prompted by low blood sugar.
Mr. Barry, now a D.C. Council member representing Ward 8, said he's been a diabetic for two decades and his blood sugar had dipped too low Tuesday night, so he was taken to the hospital.
The 77-year-old "mayor for life" took to his Twitter page Wednesday to thank the D.C. fire department for his trip to the Howard University Hospital and to list some of his favorite dishes he plans to avoid for his health.
"Steak and cheese, extra mayo — words that may sound good but kill," Mr. Barry wrote.
The hospital stay is one of a handful of health scares Mr. Barry has experienced in recent years.
In 2009, he was hospitalized for complications related to his kidney transplant, and later for dehydration and a mild blood infection. In January 2012 he underwent surgery on his urinary tract, and five months later, was treated for a blood clot in his leg while on the way to a convention in Las Vegas.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- The sun also rises on Easter in the District
- Higher Ground: Colbert the Catholic
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
- Higher Ground: Sex Pistol Superstar
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.