- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
Marion Barry recovering after overnight hospital stay
Former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry was recovering Wednesday from an overnight stay at the hospital prompted by low blood sugar.
Mr. Barry, now a D.C. Council member representing Ward 8, said he's been a diabetic for two decades and his blood sugar had dipped too low Tuesday night, so he was taken to the hospital.
The 77-year-old "mayor for life" took to his Twitter page Wednesday to thank the D.C. fire department for his trip to the Howard University Hospital and to list some of his favorite dishes he plans to avoid for his health.
"Steak and cheese, extra mayo — words that may sound good but kill," Mr. Barry wrote.
The hospital stay is one of a handful of health scares Mr. Barry has experienced in recent years.
In 2009, he was hospitalized for complications related to his kidney transplant, and later for dehydration and a mild blood infection. In January 2012 he underwent surgery on his urinary tract, and five months later, was treated for a blood clot in his leg while on the way to a convention in Las Vegas.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Lenten season marks big business for seafood sector
- ACU at 50: Strong and looking ahead
- Ready for spring? D.C. cherry blossoms to bloom by mid-April
- MOVIE REVIEW: 'Son of God'
- Experts say immigrants are changing the U.S. religious landscape
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Golden Hammer: Feds spend millions to train executives train in luxury
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again