- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
- California church handing out ‘travel cash’ to illegals heading east
- PHILLIPS: Liberal lawyers ensuring illegal aliens are never deported
- Chris Christie leading N.H. GOP presidential field; Mitt Romney lingers large
- NYC creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
Spain’s Princess Cristina charged with corruption
Question of the Day
An investigation into graft in Spain has swept in Princess Cristina, 47, the daughter of King Juan Carlos, and Wednesday she was charged with corruption.
The princess will face a court hearing on April 27, Reuters reports. That's when the judge will hear whether she assisted her husband, Inaki Urdangarin, in tax fraud and embezzling six million euros of public funds. Mr. Urdangarin allegedly siphoned the funds from a charitable foundation he once led, Reuters says.
The targeting of the royal family is unprecedented, but Spain's residents are tired of the graft at a time of tremendous national financial struggle, Reuters says.
"The law is the same for everyone," said Judge Jose Castro, in court documents quoted by Reuters.
Watchdog officials think the judge may be angling to bring a formal indictment against the husband-wife duo, and holding them accountable with a public trial.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Queens councilman presses to down drones above New York City
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- California church handing out 'travel cash' to illegals heading east
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
The EPA takes its cue from rogue president on wage-garnishment scheme
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- LeBron James returning to Cleveland Cavaliers
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- Breaking special forces: Obama nominee Gen. Joseph Votel warns that elite troops may be 'fraying'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs