- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
REILAND: Washington then, Washington now
The first president would tower above today’s capital crew
Born into a Virginia farming family, commander in chief of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, and the first president of the United States, George Washington is consistently ranked as one of the greatest American presidents.
A CBS News poll released in March reported that 80 percent of Americans are dissatisfied with Washington politicians, including 30 percent who are outright angry. That was the highest level of anger recorded since CBS polling on that question began in February 2010.
Additionally, 61 percent of Americans said the country is headed in the wrong direction, President Obama’s approval rating is rapidly slipping, and the approval rating of the job that Congress is doing has dropped to 11 percent.
Reflecting the rising level of anger, an opinion survey released in January by Public Policy Polling reported that Americans have higher opinions of cockroaches and colonoscopies than they do of Congress.On a more positive note, Congress did have a higher approval rating in the Public Policy Polling survey, by a small margin, than Lindsay Lohan, Fidel Castro and the Kardashians.
The following synopsis of just a few of George Washington’s statements is probably enough to indicate why he is held in much higher esteem than the nation’s current crop of politicians.
On a governing philosophy: “The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon.”
On war and foreign entanglements: “I have always given it as my decided opinion that no nation had a right to intermeddle in the internal concerns of another.”
The Pentagon reports that the United States has 662 overseas bases in 38 countries and American military personnel on the ground in 148 countries.
On foreign policy: “My aim has been to keep the United States free from political connections with every other country.”
As Mr. Obama completed his recent meetings with Palestinian leaders in the West Bank, the U.S. State Department announced that it had unblocked $500 million in aid to the Palestinian Authority.
On censorship and political correctness: “If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
On debt: “To contract new debts is not the way to pay old debts.”
On bribery: “Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.”
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers