- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Paying to defend terrorist who hates us
Before civil libertarians and constitutional scholars all weigh in, let me say this: I firmly believe in the principle of innocent until proven guilty. Undoubtedly, it is one of the bedrock foundations that separates American justice and culture from many, if not most, other countries in the world.
However, the irony of the situation in Boston hasn’t been lost on me. On the one hand, you have Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of two suspects in the Marathon bombings on April 15. According to various news reports, Tsarnaev, 19, cites his Islamic extremist views as his justification for killing three and injuring more than 260 others. If you believe that rationale, then I think it’s fair to say he has no respect for this country or our way of life.
On the other hand, it is exactly this same nation that will be spending millions of dollars on young Tsarnaev’s medical care and legal representation. Go figure. A teenager who is barely old enough to drive can conceivably commit a heinous act of cowardice — yet still be supported by the very people he professes to hate.
Talk about turning the other cheek. Is America a great country or what?
Laguna Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment