- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Paying to defend terrorist who hates us
Question of the Day
Before civil libertarians and constitutional scholars all weigh in, let me say this: I firmly believe in the principle of innocent until proven guilty. Undoubtedly, it is one of the bedrock foundations that separates American justice and culture from many, if not most, other countries in the world.
However, the irony of the situation in Boston hasn’t been lost on me. On the one hand, you have Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of two suspects in the Marathon bombings on April 15. According to various news reports, Tsarnaev, 19, cites his Islamic extremist views as his justification for killing three and injuring more than 260 others. If you believe that rationale, then I think it’s fair to say he has no respect for this country or our way of life.
On the other hand, it is exactly this same nation that will be spending millions of dollars on young Tsarnaev’s medical care and legal representation. Go figure. A teenager who is barely old enough to drive can conceivably commit a heinous act of cowardice — yet still be supported by the very people he professes to hate.
Talk about turning the other cheek. Is America a great country or what?
Laguna Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis