- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun fine wouldn’t deter criminals
Question of the Day
While there is nothing funny about recent tragedies involving guns and the mentally deranged, the latest Democratic effort at gun control is laughable ("Democrats push for $10K fine for gun owners without liability insurance," Web, Tuesday).
Complete with a picture of an arrogant-looking big-city Democrat, this plan reminds many not only of why they joined the National Rifle Association in the first place, but also of the clear, present and continuing danger posed by Democrats to the ability of honest, sane and law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights.This is so, as many know that the government can rig an insurance market and thus, inflate its cost with regulations that create monopolies and their cousin, oligopolies, a la Obamacare.
This plan could end up pricing many lawful gun owners out of the market while not deterring illegals — and it has no chance of passing a Republican House and a Senate with 40-plus filibustering Republicans. The only effect of its introduction will be to further tarnish the Democratic Party's name in large parts of America.
For a party that historically has been eager to ban guns, Democrats sure do manage to shoot themselves in the foot a great deal.
West Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
- ISTOOK: Get ready for super-priced burgers due to NLRB decree