- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun fine wouldn’t deter criminals
Question of the Day
While there is nothing funny about recent tragedies involving guns and the mentally deranged, the latest Democratic effort at gun control is laughable ("Democrats push for $10K fine for gun owners without liability insurance," Web, Tuesday).
Complete with a picture of an arrogant-looking big-city Democrat, this plan reminds many not only of why they joined the National Rifle Association in the first place, but also of the clear, present and continuing danger posed by Democrats to the ability of honest, sane and law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights.This is so, as many know that the government can rig an insurance market and thus, inflate its cost with regulations that create monopolies and their cousin, oligopolies, a la Obamacare.
This plan could end up pricing many lawful gun owners out of the market while not deterring illegals — and it has no chance of passing a Republican House and a Senate with 40-plus filibustering Republicans. The only effect of its introduction will be to further tarnish the Democratic Party's name in large parts of America.
For a party that historically has been eager to ban guns, Democrats sure do manage to shoot themselves in the foot a great deal.
West Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each