- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun fine wouldn’t deter criminals
While there is nothing funny about recent tragedies involving guns and the mentally deranged, the latest Democratic effort at gun control is laughable ("Democrats push for $10K fine for gun owners without liability insurance," Web, Tuesday).
Complete with a picture of an arrogant-looking big-city Democrat, this plan reminds many not only of why they joined the National Rifle Association in the first place, but also of the clear, present and continuing danger posed by Democrats to the ability of honest, sane and law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights.This is so, as many know that the government can rig an insurance market and thus, inflate its cost with regulations that create monopolies and their cousin, oligopolies, a la Obamacare.
This plan could end up pricing many lawful gun owners out of the market while not deterring illegals — and it has no chance of passing a Republican House and a Senate with 40-plus filibustering Republicans. The only effect of its introduction will be to further tarnish the Democratic Party's name in large parts of America.
For a party that historically has been eager to ban guns, Democrats sure do manage to shoot themselves in the foot a great deal.
West Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment