- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
Inside the Beltway: GOP not going to pot
The gun control debate will soon be louder, courtesy of Goucher College in Baltimore. On stage, it’s National Rifle Association President David Keene versus Josh Horwitz, executive director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, plus Colleen Barry, an associate professor of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Jeffrey Swanson, a professor in psychiatry at Duke University.
“I am looking forward to a robust and thought-provoking conversation,” Mr. Horwitz notes. Organizers frame the April 15 debate as a “balanced panel of experts.” The event will be broadcast online at the campus website Goucher.edu.
GLARING AT THE OMISSION
Where is the broadcast coverage of the trial of Philadelphia abortionist Kermit Gosnell, charged with the deaths of seven infants and a woman? That’s what Media Research Center president Brent Bozell wants to know. The conservative watchdog group reveals that ABC, CBS and NBC have given the story “zero seconds of coverage” since the trial began three weeks ago; and CBS has had only a single mention since the doctor’s 2011 arrest.
“The Gosnell case, in which his abortion clinic has been described as a ‘house of horrors,’ could have been plucked from the fever dream of Hollywood’s most depraved slasher film writer, and yet ABC, CBS and NBC have completely censored it out of the news,” Mr. Bozell says. “The horrific excesses of the abortion industry — exemplified by Gosnell and Planned Parenthood — are major, national news stories. But the pro-abortion liberal media are determined to hide them from the public.”
Mr. Bozell has demanded coverage in a letter to the three networks, signed by 20 fellow conservatives who include American Values President Gary Bauer, Citizens United President David Bossie, Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser, Hispanic Leadership Fund President Mario Lopez, Priests for Life director Father Frank Pavone and Family Research Council President Tony Perkins.
POLL DU JOUR
• 80 percent of Americans favor stricter border security; 93 percent of Republicans, 90 percent of conservatives, 76 percent of Democrats and 68 percent of liberals agree.
• 72 percent of Americans overall favor granting more visas to “high-skill non-U.S. workers”; 71 percent of Republicans, 70 percent of conservatives, 72 percent of Democrats and 78 percent of liberals agree.
• 57 percent overall support a “path to citizenship” for illegal immigrants; 35 percent of Republicans, 42 percent of conservatives, 73 percent of Democrats and 88 percent of liberals agree.
Source: An ABC News/Washington Post poll of 1,014 U.S. adults conducted March 27 to 30.
• Tipline always open at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
- 4 MILLION WORDS: the U.S. Tax Code is seven times the length of 'War and Peace'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.