- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
- CDC sees measles spike and ‘failure to vaccinate’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: O’Malley’s gun-law failure
When Maryland elected officials announced something needed to be done about gun violence, I had hopes that we would see real solutions. I have since abandoned all hope.
The governor's "gun safety bill" had amendments to enhance penalties and remove "good time credit" voted down. Actually, the amendment was approved, then the Democratic leadership strong-armed delegates into re-voting and defeating it. Further, an amendment to allow off-duty police officers to carry their firearms on school grounds was voted down. My sister went to a private school that depended on this practice for after-school events. Both of these amendments are common-sense amendments that reduce all forms of violence.
I noticed also how Gov. Martin O'Malley fought to keep mental health reform to a minimum. There is no new funding, no new ways to get help if you need it. I can see now that the governor's bill is nothing more than an attempt to destroy Second Amendment rights. Mr. O'Malley shows no energy, no effort and no desire to do anything about the mentally ill or the revolving-door prison system that creates so many of our problems (more than 70 percent of gun criminals are repeat offenders, let out early). Eighty-eight percent of Maryland residents in a recent Susquehanna Poll favor enhanced penalties. I hope they will remember this in 2014.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on 'outdated' agencies
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.