- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Sticky-fingered thieves target maple sap in Maine
Question of the Day
“For us it falls into this big category of things people not showing respect for adjacent property. They probably wouldn’t dream of tapping their neighbor’s trees,” Ms. McKeague said.
Or maybe they would. In eastern Maine, taps showed up in trees at a cemetery in Calais.
“That was the first year they’d been put in trees at the cemetery, and that’s what ruffled people’s feathers,” said Carmen Small of nearby Robbinston. “Doing it at a cemetery is sacrilegious and disrespectful. It freaked my husband out because his family’s buried right under one of the trees.”
The taps were removed after Calais city workers left a note asking their owner to take them away.
Ranger Liba said he’s not aware of anybody being criminally charged for illegal tapping, but he caught one person in the act this year. That man is now working with the landowner and a mediator on how to make amends.
People sometimes think because Maine has a long tradition of open access to land for hunting and fishing, the right extends to other things as well — including tapping trees, Ranger Liba said.
“I think they’re viewing it as an extension of being able to go out and use property without permission,” he said.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq