- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Column: 1963 title changed color of college game
“But you know what?” Egan continued. “I barely knew or even saw many blacks growing up. So all of us arrived with our prejudices, and because we were thrown together, we had to work things out.”
Chicago embraced them, reluctantly at first, if only because college basketball was down the city’s list of sporting priorities. The NCAA championship TV broadcast was in only its first year of national syndication in 1963 and the game was shown on tape delay _ after live telecasts of the Illinois and Indiana high school championships and a Blackhawks’ hockey game. By the time it ended, most of the town was fast asleep.
“That might be one of the funniest stories I heard,” Lenehan said. “When Loyola went down by 15 points early in the second half, some guys apparently went from tavern to tavern making bets on the Ramblers.”
Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke(at)ap.org and follow him at Twitter.com/JimLitke.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.