- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Obama apologizes to Calif. AG for flirty comments
Question of the Day
President Obama called California Attorney General Kamala Harris Thursday night to apologize for praising her looks at a fundraiser Thursday.
Mr. Obama called Ms. Harris "the best-looking attorney general in the country," a comment that stirred controversy and some ribbing.
"Sexual Harris-ment?" wondered Vanity Fair in its online report.
White House press secretary Jay Carney on Friday told reporters that Mr. Obama had called Ms. Harris the night before to apologize for causing a "distraction" by his comments. He declined to say whether the president thought the comments were inappropriate and demeaning, adding that he was sorry for "the remark."
"They're old friends," Mr. Carney says of Mr. Obama and Ms. Harris. "He certainly regretted that [his remark] caused a distraction."
Speaking at a fundraiser in a wealthy San Francisco suburb of Atherton Thursday, Mr. Obama heaped praise on Ms. Harris's talent as attorney general, as well as her looks.
"You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake," Mr. Obama said. "She also happens to be, by far, the best-looking attorney general in the country."
"It's true! C'mon," he added as the crowd laughed nervously.
Mr. Obama traveled to California earlier this week to raise money for Democratic candidates running for federal office in 2014. The event, at the home of Levi-Strauss heir John Goldman, benefited the Democratic National Committee.
Ms. Harris, 48, who has served as the state's attorney general since 2011, is the daughter of an Indian mother and a Jamaican-American father and has been described as "the female Barack Obama."
She is viewed as a potential gubernatorial candidate and SCOTUSBlog has speculated that Mr. Obama could choose her as a potential Supreme Court justice.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Susan Crabtree is an award-winning investigative reporter with more than 15 years of reporting experience in Washington, D.C. Her reporting about bribery, corruption and conflict-of-interest issues on Capitol Hill has led to several FBI and ethics investigations, as well as consequences for members within their caucuses and at the ballot box. Susan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GOP senators want IG probe of Sebelius' 'Obamacare' fundraising
- Teaming up with Christie, Obama says Jersey shore 'back in business'
- No Moore: Obama flubs name of Oklahoma city devastated by tornado, calls it 'Monroe'
- Obama to Okla. tornado victims: 'We have got your back'
- Amid his own challenges, Obama calls on Navy grads to hold themselves accountable
Latest Blog Entries
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'Economic Freedom Zones' for Detroit
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!