- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: On guns, a powerful status quo
Question of the Day
As the Maryland House of Delegates takes its final vote on a gun control bill and sends the measure to the state Senate for approval, I am reminded of the last words written on this topic by my late husband, Ron Smith, a radio talk show host, Emmy Award winner and Baltimore Sun columnist.
In December 2011 he wrote: “I’ve been portrayed on The Baltimore Sun’s editorial page (back when they could still afford a cartoonist), as a revolver spewing bullets out of my mouth. But the funny thing is that more than two dozen American states have seen fit to allow responsible citizens to arm themselves effectively (that is with concealed handguns) to defend themselves, their families and their property. Maryland lags behind, trapped in liberal lunacy as it is. The phrase ‘gun control’ sounds so soothing, so benign, that otherwise intelligent, self-sufficient people can be fooled by it. Once the facts are made clear to them, they see the light. A disarmed citizenry is not a citizenry at all. The framers knew that. Hence the Second Amendment. That old rascal Machiavelli put it best when he said a disarmed man is not only defenseless, he is contemptible. The power of the status quo is so immense, one can miss it.”
Many of us did miss it, and for a long time. Many still do.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?