- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: On guns, a powerful status quo
Question of the Day
As the Maryland House of Delegates takes its final vote on a gun control bill and sends the measure to the state Senate for approval, I am reminded of the last words written on this topic by my late husband, Ron Smith, a radio talk show host, Emmy Award winner and Baltimore Sun columnist.
In December 2011 he wrote: "I've been portrayed on The Baltimore Sun's editorial page (back when they could still afford a cartoonist), as a revolver spewing bullets out of my mouth. But the funny thing is that more than two dozen American states have seen fit to allow responsible citizens to arm themselves effectively (that is with concealed handguns) to defend themselves, their families and their property. Maryland lags behind, trapped in liberal lunacy as it is. The phrase 'gun control' sounds so soothing, so benign, that otherwise intelligent, self-sufficient people can be fooled by it. Once the facts are made clear to them, they see the light. A disarmed citizenry is not a citizenry at all. The framers knew that. Hence the Second Amendment. That old rascal Machiavelli put it best when he said a disarmed man is not only defenseless, he is contemptible. The power of the status quo is so immense, one can miss it."
Many of us did miss it, and for a long time. Many still do.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case