- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Timothy Peters sworn in as sheriff’s deputy
Question of the Day
MARTINSVILLE, VA. (AP) - Timothy Peters has joined some famous company fighting sexual predators on the Internet.
The driver in NASCAR's Camping World Truck Series was sworn in Saturday at Martinsville Speedway as a reserve deputy sheriff and spokesperson for the Safe Surfin' Foundation, based in Bedford. The non-profit organization tracks down sexual predators that target children on the internet.
Peters joins a list of celebrity spokespeople that also includes Shaquille O'Neal, Kathy Ireland, Erik Estrada, Lou Ferrigno and William Lee Golden of the Oak Ridge Boys, among others.
Peters, a Danville native, will record several Public Service Announcements for the foundation, visit other internet task forces around the country and attend fundraisers throughout the country.
Follow Hank on twitter at: http://twitter.com/hankkurzjr
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: 'It's fantastic'
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs