- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Embassy Row: Sorry, David Letterman
Sorry, Dave. Mr. Obama rewards top fundraisers, not late-night comedians, with plum diplomatic jobs.
The president reportedly already has decided to give the Ottawa post to Bruce Heyman, a partner in the Chicago investment firm of Goldman Sachs, which received tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer bailouts.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. broke the news last week based on leaks from unidentified sources.
Mr. Heyman and his wife, Vicki, have raised more than $1 million for Mr. Obama’s presidential elections and served on his national campaign finance committee.
The White House has yet to make the nomination public.
CAN’T TAKE A JOKE
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo last week sent out a Twitter message with a link to an American cable TV comedy show in which host Jon Stewart skewered Mr. Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood government for persecuting Egyptian satirist Bassem Yousef.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
James Morrison joined the The Washington Times in 1983 as a local reporter covering Alexandria, Va. A year later, he was assigned to open a Times bureau in Canada. From 1987 to 1989, Mr. Morrison was The Washington Times reporter in London, covering Britain, Western Europe and NATO issues. After returning to Washington, he served as an assistant foreign editor ...
- Embassy Row: Israeli at the White House in another Golda moment
- Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black president, dies at age 95
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Huh? 'Universal word' signals total confusion wherever you go
- Sen. Ben Cardin hits Ukraine for crackdown on Kiev protests
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- KEENE: Nelson Mandela's legacy
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!