- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
Cardinals activate David Freese for home opener
ST. LOUIS (AP) - Third baseman David Freese was activated from the 15-day disabled list by the St. Louis Cardinals and batted sixth in Monday’s home opener against the Cincinnati Reds.
“This is a day I don’t ever want to miss,” said Freese, who grew up a Cardinals fan in suburban St. Louis. “I know one day it’s going to come to an end, but as many times as I can I’d like to be a part of this special day.”
“If he wasn’t 100 percent, he wouldn’t be here,” manager Mike Matheny said. “So he’s ready to go and we’re excited to watch him do his thing.”
Matt Carpenter started five games at third while Freese was out and was on the bench. Carpenter is hitting .320 with four RBIs.
Freese strained his lower back tumbling into the stands while chasing a foul ball during spring training and missed the first six games. He appeared in three games with Triple-A Memphis on a rehab assignment and was 3 for 5 with two RBIs Sunday against Oklahoma City.
St. Louis optioned infielder Ryan Jackson to Memphis to clear a roster spot.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.