- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Why no museum for Pledge author?
Question of the Day
The National Geographic Museum is currently displaying the loot of the pirate ship Whydah, which sank in 1717. The ship's pirate captain was Samuel Bellamy, ancestor of Francis Bellamy (1855-1931).
The Whydah and Samuel Bellamy museum is in Provincetown, Mass. Another Bellamy who has a museum dedicated to him is Francis' first cousin, Edward Bellamy (1850-1890). This museum is located in Chicopee, Mass. Edward Bellamy was the leading American socialist of his day.
Ironically, there is no museum in the United States dedicated to Francis Bellamy. Francis Bellamy's Pledge of Allegiance is recited by Congress, by nearly all state legislatures and by most school children. Yet, apparently, there isn't even a room dedicated to him in any of the nation's museums. Why should Samuel Bellamy, the pirate, and Edward Bellamy, the socialist, be honored — but not Francis? Let's have a museum for Francis, too — or at least a room in one of these museums.
JOHN W. BAER
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
- Bill Maher blames Hamas for Gaza violence: 'Do you really expect the Israelis not to retaliate?'
- HUMPHRIES: 'Hes the Worst President in 70 Years'