- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America standing strong
Question of the Day
As a fellow New Jersey native, I thoroughly enjoyed Rich Valdes' honest and unvarnished observation of the current gun control debate ("The A-list on Americanism: Gun reform or people reform?" Web, Wednesday).
Mr. Valdes highlights the fact that support for gun control legislation has seen a decline in the polls. Since the passage of our Constitution, our country has seen minimal civic problems problems that have plagued other countries with more history and less diversity. Presidential transitions in this country have gone without threats of military coups, riots or a complete breakdown of our society. Regarding the tragedy of Sandy Hook Elementary School, I believe our country has sincerely mourned and recognized the terrible incident's severity. Moreover, while our country has reflected on what happened, it has not let the singular event define our evolution.
I believe that the events transpiring and the final question Mr. Valdes poses of "Who do you agree with most. Most importantly, why?" reflect the state of our country. We are a country that refuses to be bullied by grandstanding politicians exploiting these tragedies to push agendas, a country that will take time to deliberate on how to develop a more perfect union while fixing problems and preserving our rights. Mr. Valdes' reflections speak volumes to the tenacity of the American spirit and commitment to our values and one another.
JULIO A. FLORES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins