- Freak lightning storm kills 1, injures many on California beach
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America standing strong
Question of the Day
As a fellow New Jersey native, I thoroughly enjoyed Rich Valdes' honest and unvarnished observation of the current gun control debate ("The A-list on Americanism: Gun reform or people reform?" Web, Wednesday).
Mr. Valdes highlights the fact that support for gun control legislation has seen a decline in the polls. Since the passage of our Constitution, our country has seen minimal civic problems problems that have plagued other countries with more history and less diversity. Presidential transitions in this country have gone without threats of military coups, riots or a complete breakdown of our society. Regarding the tragedy of Sandy Hook Elementary School, I believe our country has sincerely mourned and recognized the terrible incident's severity. Moreover, while our country has reflected on what happened, it has not let the singular event define our evolution.
I believe that the events transpiring and the final question Mr. Valdes poses of "Who do you agree with most. Most importantly, why?" reflect the state of our country. We are a country that refuses to be bullied by grandstanding politicians exploiting these tragedies to push agendas, a country that will take time to deliberate on how to develop a more perfect union while fixing problems and preserving our rights. Mr. Valdes' reflections speak volumes to the tenacity of the American spirit and commitment to our values and one another.
JULIO A. FLORES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's trial to test definitions of political corruption
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins