- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Obama to hold pricey fundraiser at Harvey Weinstein’s Manhattan home
Question of the Day
Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and his designer wife, Georgina Chapman, will be hosting an exclusive, $32,400-per-couple fundraising reception for President Barack Obama in their upscale Manhattan home on May 13.
The invitation says guests will experience an "intimate discussion with the president" where they can ask questions, and afterward Obama will "say thank you to each guest and take a photo with them," the New York Post reports.
"You may be asking why [Obama] needs to hit the trail and start fund-raising so soon after his successful re-election, and the reason is twofold," the invite explains. "Even Republicans concede that part of our victory stemmed from the fact that with no primary opponent ... our re-elect team used the extra time to build a large campaign operation melding a grass-roots army of 2.2 million volunteers with groundbreaking technology ... We can't let them use the next two years to catch up."
"The DNC is the only organization whose sole mission is to support the president and help him pass his agenda, whether that's gun control or immigration reform," it continues. "The White House alone doesn't have the manpower or the resources to withstand the attacks and control the message."
Some political insiders are annoyed with the president's perpetual campaign when they expect to see results, with the New York Post quoting one source as saying, "We've got a mayoral race he'll be getting in the way of. We should be focusing on that and individual congressional candidates. It's like 'Lord of the Flies' ... [Obama] is cannibalizing donors."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Border agents detain Boy Scout troop for taking photo, troop leader says
- Wikipedia imposes editing ban on House staffers
- Fla. Republican to push bill mandating D'Souza's 'America' film in public schools
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Boko Haram abducts wife of Cameroon's vice prime minister
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq