- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama-made debt is ever-growing
Question of the Day
Victor Davis Hanson is spot on in "After Obama" (Commentary, Monday). Every morning I wake up another day older and $40 deeper in debt. The same is true of the other 85 million U.S. taxpayers.
In President Obama's first four years, he loaded more than $50,000 of debt onto each of us. In four more years, it looks like he will make it a total of $100,000. To paraphrase the song "Sixteen Tons," our souls will belong to the Internal Revenue Service.
Do the math: An annual deficit of $1.1 trillion would add $3 billion to the debt every day. That amounts to borrowing $32 every day for every U.S. taxpayer. Annual deficits are larger than $1.1 trillion, raising the daily debt added per taxpayer to $40.
Taxpayers and presidents who continue to believe that deficits and debt don't matter must be invincibly ignorant.
GEORGE F. STEEG
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job