- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama-made debt is ever-growing
Victor Davis Hanson is spot on in "After Obama" (Commentary, Monday). Every morning I wake up another day older and $40 deeper in debt. The same is true of the other 85 million U.S. taxpayers.
In President Obama's first four years, he loaded more than $50,000 of debt onto each of us. In four more years, it looks like he will make it a total of $100,000. To paraphrase the song "Sixteen Tons," our souls will belong to the Internal Revenue Service.
Do the math: An annual deficit of $1.1 trillion would add $3 billion to the debt every day. That amounts to borrowing $32 every day for every U.S. taxpayer. Annual deficits are larger than $1.1 trillion, raising the daily debt added per taxpayer to $40.
Taxpayers and presidents who continue to believe that deficits and debt don't matter must be invincibly ignorant.
GEORGE F. STEEG
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions