U.S. reassures allies amid N. Korea threats

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

The “umbrella” of the U.S. nuclear deterrent and missile defense remains firmly in place over America’s allies in Asia in the face of recent threats from North Korea, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter said Monday.

The pledge does not appear to have stopped either South Korea or Japan from readying their own missile defenses against a possible strike by Pyongyang, raising the tension throughout northeast Asia.


SEE ALSO: U.S. diplomats wasting time with ‘crazy people’ running North Korea: McCain


“We will continue to provide the extended deterrence offered by the U.S. nuclear umbrella and will ensure that all of its capabilities remain available” to U.S. allies, Mr. Carter told an audience at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, according to prepared remarks posted on the Pentagon’s website.

He also pledged that the U.S. “rebalance” to Asia was “not in jeopardy,” as the Pentagon faces automatic, across-the-board reductions in planned spending growth now totaling a $1 trillion or so over 10 years.

Indeed, Mr. Carter said the rebalance effort will “gain momentum” in the next decade, an element of the speech picked up on by the official Chinese media.

He reiterated U.S. determination “to strengthen our missile defenses in order to keep ahead of North Korean ballistic missile development.” He also noted the deployment over the past few days of both sea- and land-based U.S. missile defenses in the region, “where they are poised to respond to any missile threats to our allies or our territory.”

Despite such reassurances, both South Korea and Japan have been deploying their own missile defenses, a move likely to be closely watched in Beijing, which relies on its nuclear missiles for strategic deterrence.

Japanese Patriot missile-defense systems were set up at three sites around Tokyo early Tuesday, ahead of a possible missile launch by North Korea later this week, media reports from the capital said.


SEE ALSO: North Korea tells foreign companies in South to get out


Last week, South Korea deployed two radar-equipped Aegis destroyers — one on each side of the peninsula. The destroyers can detect and track a missile launch, according to Arirang TV News.

South Korea’s ground-based Green Pine radar and Peace Eye early warning and control aircraft are also being deployed to watch for a possible launch, Arirang reported.

Pyongyang has warned diplomats and all other foreigners in the country that their safety cannot be guaranteed after April 10, leading some analysts to predict another provocative move such as a missile launch after weeks of saber-rattling rhetoric.

The North last week moved two Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missiles to a test site on the East coast.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

About the Author
Shaun Waterman

Shaun Waterman

Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...

Latest Stories

Latest Blog Entries

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks