- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Individual freedom’ means taking stand
Question of the Day
In a discussion a few days ago, a gentleman asked me, “What is individual freedom, or liberty?” It really caused me to pause for a moment, for, like most other Americans, I have always taken freedom for granted.
Because I was born and raised in America, I have never personally experienced government oppression the way billions of others have throughout history. So I began a search to answer for myself the real meaning of individual freedom, and to learn whether America is an exceptional country because of it. President Obama has said publicly he does not believe it is. Hearing a president of the United States make that statement struck me like a bolt of lightning.
After many days into the midnight hour of searching for the answer, I finally came to understand that individual freedom is the absence of restraint on our ability to think and act for ourselves. And of all the things that make America great, individual freedom is our most precious and greatest possession, and it is the reason we are an exceptional country.
Being free from government oppression that restrains our ability to think and act for ourselves has only one meaning, and it automatically carries with it individual responsibility. I believe very strongly in the power of the individual, and freedom is the capacity for self-determination. However, it is not cast in stone to forever be, but is rather a condition, and conditions can change if so allowed.
Individual freedom can grow and expand, but it can also shrink and disappear. It will be preserved only as long as there is devotion to freedom expressed in the hearts and actions of the people of America. President George W. Bush said a few years ago, “History moves toward freedom because the desire for freedom is written in every human heart.”
Mr. Obama promised “fundamental” change in America, but Americans were not looking to exchange individual freedom for subjugation to an expanding federal government with more and more regulation.
Our great nation is a representative republic, not a socialist state. Americans everywhere must get involved and take a stand against government control of our lives. Now is not the time to be silent as Mr. Obama attempts to dismantle this great country.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
Get Breaking Alerts
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?