- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
- HUMPHRIES: Fight like a Democrat – An open letter to Sen. Mitch McConnell
- Florida board member shocks with ‘Heil Hitler’ salute at town meeting
- Bill O’Reilly, Chris Matthews inducted into Irish America Hall of Fame
- Military given ‘execute order’ by Obama for secret cyber mission in June
- College group’s diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald’s
Column: 2 Swedes walk into a major championship
“And thank you,” Blixt added, “hat’s off to someone who did that to me.”
Stenson had plenty of fun in the interview room, too, teasing reporters who asked about his age (“I guess my looks are a bit deceiving; I’m 37”) and added bulk (“Are you saying I’m fat?”). He also recounted in detail how just two years ago, in the middle of a career drought, he failed to qualify for the PGA and played in his club’s two-man team championship back in Sweden instead.
“I was up in contention there, as well,” he said. “I didn’t win.”
“The other guys have got to be telling quite a story,” a reporter reminded him.
“Yeah,” Stenson said, “I saw it as a kind gesture to give him a bit of confidence.”
Yet both men did their best to tamp down speculation about what it would mean back home to have either return home with a major championship trophy.
Echoed Stenson, “It would be lovely, but we’re still a long ways away from that. There’s no point thinking about tomorrow and thinking ahead of things.”
Yet reporters kept asking, one even trying an emotional appeal to Blixt.
“Did something go through your heart when you saw how excited Adam (Scott) was to become the first Aussie to win a Masters?” he asked.
“Well,” Blixt replied with a hint of a smile, “Adam doesn’t really do it for me.”
Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke(at)ap.org and follow him at http://twitter.com/JimLitke
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Details on ships, planes searching for missing jet
- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald's
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again