- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
SANDS: Sparkling new chess game collection offers a trip to ‘Planet Chukky’
Question of the Day
Falls Church-based Silver Knights Chess is recruiting part-time coaches and aides to run after-school elementary school chess programs in Maryland, the District and Northern Virginia. Coaches must have a “reliable” car and be able to work weekdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, check out the group’s website at www.silverknightschess.com or contact the Knights at Sharon@silverknightschess.com.
Ivanchuk-Csom, Yerevan, 1989
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. f3 c5 5. d5 Bxc3+ 6. bxc3 Nh5 7. g3 f5 8. e4 f4 9. dxe6 fxg3 10. Qd5 g2 11. Qxh5+ g6 12. Qe5 Qh4+ 13. Ke2 gxh1=Q 14. Qxh8+ Ke7 15. Qg7+ Kxe6 16. Bh3+ Kd6 17. Qf8+ Kc7 18. Bf4+ Qxf4 19. Qxf4+ d6 20. Rd1 Nc6 21. Qxd6+ Kb6 22. Qg3 h5 23. Bxc8 Rxc8 24. Nh3 h4 25. Qf2 Black resigns.
Kurnosov-Loginov, Samara, Russia, July 2002
1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Be3 c6 5. a4 Qa5 6. Qd2 Nbd7 7. h3 Bg7 8. g3 O-O 9. Bg2 e5 10. Nge2 Re8 11. O-O exd4 12. Bxd4 Nc5 13. Rfe1 Qc7 14. Rad1 Nfxe4 15. Nf4 Nxd2 16. Rxe8+ Bf8 17. Ncd5 cxd5 18. Nxd5 Ne6 19. Rxd2 h5 20. Nxc7 Nxc7 21. Re1 Ne6 22. Bc3 Bd7 23. Bxb7 Rb8 24. Bd5 Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
- SANDS: Campaigning and competing on Capitol Hill
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq